Sennheiser PXC 300/250 Headphones Review

各种话题讨论,有用资料搜集,iDogiCat的精品文章收藏。 (free talks in Chinese)

Moderator: iDog

iDog

Sennheiser PXC 300/250 Headphones Review

Post by iDog »

Quite useful for any traveler

---- Sennheiser PXC 300/250 Headphones Review

August 19, 2006

A review by Theseus at Amazon US.

Pros:

-Excellent noise cancelling capability
-Extremely comfortable for extended periods of time
-Great battery life
-Good audio quality (see qualification below)
-Fold up into a relatively compact space

Cons:

-Like all noise cancelling headphones, only works on lower frequencies
-Like all noise cancelling headphones, adds a low-level hiss of white noise to the background when on
-The electronics unit on the cord gets in the way
-Will not cut out as much noise as in-ear units
-Origami-like folding requires some patience

IF you are one of the lucky few who can tolerate in-ear buds (the headphones that stick into your ear canal like earplugs) AND find buds that seal off your ear canals adequately, you'll get much better noise reduction than noise cancelling headphones provide. Earbuds also provide noise reduction over a wider spectrum and do passively in the same way those little foam earplugs do. This is also, obviously, the most portable option, as these units often fit in small cases a little larger than a silver dollar in diameter.

For the rest of us, there's the noise cancelling option. So about 2 years ago I decided to go this route. I was doing a lot of traveling by plane and found the general cabin noise and engine drone to be distracting when listening to music. I went by an in-airport electronics store and tried out all of the noise cancelling headphones they had (including the highest end Bose units). I found the Sennheiser PXC 250 provided significantly higher quality audio than any of the others (including the Bose Quiet Comfort series), with a smaller package, with better noise cancelling ability, and at a lower cost. I was able to test all headsets in a side-by-side comparison with and without music in a busy airport terminal (Atlanta) and with and without noise cancelling. Let's just say the difference is impressive.

I just purchased the PXC 300 model and have found them to be even better, just as you would expect. This review applies equally to the PXC 250 model except where noted. A comparison of the two is at the bottom.

That said, all noise cancelling headphones have limitations.

First, they all are better at low-frequency noise reduction. I've heard several explanations for this ranging from technological limitations to safety reasons. Suffice it to say that they all reduce engine noise, repetitive noise (such as fans), and most ambient noise significantly. They will reduce the volume of surrounding conversations less (though still some). So this means, though you will not be put on an island of tranquility, you will have a noticeable reduction in ambient noise. The easiest way to prove this to yourself is to turn the noise cancelling circuit off and notice how much louder you tend to listen to your music in the same environment.

Second, in a quiet environment with no music playing through the headphones, you will notice a faint hiss added when noise cancelling is turned on. Most people won't notice this if they are listening to music (although some can). The amount of this noise varies from headphone to headphone and has no relationship to the quality of noise cancelling. In good quality headphones, the hiss is several orders of magnitude quieter than ambient noise in even moderately noisy environments.

Third, the noise cancelling requires circuitry and batteries to be placed somewhere. In the larger headphones (like most Bose Quiet Comfort series), they have enough room to put it in the headphones themselves. In smaller ones, like the Sennheiser units, they have a separate "wand" with the electronics in it. Neither of these is an ideal solution.

Considering all of the above, I have found the Sennheiser PXC 250 & 300 models to be the best compromise. The amount of hiss added in the background is minimal and is easily ignored in most situations. If you are an audiophile, you'll probably notice it, so you are better off in quiet places using a more traditional headset. If you are traveling, though, the hiss is such a small sacrafice compared to the ambient noise you're losing, that it's an easy trade. Of all the models I tried, the Sennheiser units were among the quietest.

When compared to the Bose Quiet Comfort 2, I find the sound quality to be superior in the Sennheiser units. The Sennheisers don't muddy the sound as much as the Bose units and the instruments on the soundstage are more distinct. Don't get me wrong. None of these units are studio reference-quality headphones. Considering the price, though, the Sennheiser units sound about as good as comparably priced non-noise cancelling headphones, if not a little better (the PXC 250 being cheaper). Besides, if you're so picky about sound quality, why aren't you listening to your music at home instead of on a plane?

I found the PXC 250's level of noise cancellation to be better than the Bose units'. The PXC 300 is even better. This may surprise some people due to the fact that the Bose QC2 unit covers the whole outside of the ear, pressing firmly against the side of the skull with the leather covered foam pads whereas the Sennheisers only press up against the ear itself. Thus, there are a lot more gaps for sound to creep into your ear canal with the smaller Sennheisers. So, as counterintuitive as it may seem, the Sennheisers still do a significantly better job of cancelling noise than do the Bose units. This may be due, in part, to the whole nature of noise cancelling and the fact that the headphones are actively cancelling out noise rather than relying on passive measures.

PXC 250 vs. PXC 300

So, comparing the PXC 250 to the 300 is the final task. Both units have the same form factor, the same "wand" containing two AAA batteries, and essentially the same look. Both are extremely comfortable for long periods of time (both are traditional over-the-head designs), though can get warm from body heat against the leather headphone cushions. Also, both fold into a smaller area in exactly the same way. The headphones have extra hinges that essentially allow the units to fold into about half the space and loosely lock in place. It's a little challenging, though, for some people to get the hang of it in the same way that a lot of people have trouble folding up car maps.

According to the company, the PXC 300 is supposed to be superior in regards to noise cancelling. This is probably provable in a laboratory setting, but is much less noticeable in the real world. Thus, in this regard, the PXC 250 is the better deal.

Sound quality is also very similar between the two. Bearing in mind that you're listening to these in noisy environments, the PXC 300 probably doesn't warrant the extra money.

Finally, and somewhat strangely, the two units come with two different carrying cases. The PXC 300 comes with a semi-hard ballistic nylon type case that opens like a clamshell with a zipper. It provides a reasonable amount of protection to the headphones. Unfortunately, I like the PXC 250 case better. It is a soft case made of ballistic nylon. However, it has a belt loop and an extra zippered pocket on the outside. Thus, you can separate your spare batteries and plug adapters from your headphones. In addition, the soft case is perfect for also carrying around an iPod in. The PXC 300 hard case has no belt loops, no extra pocket, and is a little more of a chore to carry around along with all your luggage. I'm actually swapping it out for the PXC 250 case.

In summation, the PXC 250 and 300 are both noticeably superior to their noise cancelling competitors in their intended purpose, both in sound quality and in noise reduction. They will not compete against high end non-noise cancelling units in a quiet environment, nor will they compete with in-ear buds with a comfortable fit and a complete ear canal seal (which I find uncomfortable). They will, however, provide a marked increase in comfort and quiet on those long plane, bus, and car trips, and will likely become a faithful traveling companion.

Of the two, the PXC 250 is probably the better deal. The differences in noise cancelling and sound quality between the models are minimal, especially when considering the intended environment, but the price difference is not.
iDog

Post by iDog »

我发现AMAZON也存在着很大的地域价格差别。PCX300在美国AMAZON的售价是USD133.79,但是在日本AMAZON却卖JPY18,401。如果按汇率120计算(现在不到120,在118左右),USD133.79 = JPY16055,还是便宜一些(12.7%)。

同时,这几天发现,好多欧美的产品在日本卖得都比美国贵不少,包括iPod。。。物以稀为贵?